12 key principles of the Montessori Inspired Lifestyle®
1. The activity should have a sense of purpose and capture the person’s interest.
2. Always invite the person to participate.
3. Offer choice whenever possible.
4. Talk less. Demonstrate more.
5. Physical skills; focus on what the person can do.
6. Match your speed with the person you are caring for. Slow down!
7. Use visual hints, cues or templates.
8. Give the person something to hold.
9. Go from simple tasks to more complex ones.
10. Break a task down into steps; make it easier to follow.
11. To end, ask: ‘Did you enjoy doing this?’ and ‘Would you like to do this again?’
12. There is no right or wrong. Think engagement.